CoulterBellonStephen

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 23 July 2012

I Can Do Hard Things

Posted on 11:34 by Unknown
Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her daughter was helping her.  The daughter is deathly afraid of spiders and there were some dead ones along the baseboards (they were in a basement bedroom).  My friend asked her daughter to vacuum up the dead spiders while she finished packing up some things.  The daughter said she couldn't do it, she was too afraid.  And my friend said, "Honey, your brother (that just moved out) is doing something that scares him.  In this family, we do hard things."

She knew she sounded impatient and she left the room for a moment.  When she came back she peeked in the room and her daughter had the longest hose available on the vacuum and she was vacuuming up the spiders saying over and over to herself, "I can do hard things."

Later on that week, the same daughter was out in the garden weeding and the spiders were crawling around, but the daughter sucked it up and kept weeding---until one crawled on her hand.  Then she was done.  But she came to her mom afterward and said, "See Mom, I'm getting better at this."

That story totally struck me, not only on a personal level (because we all struggle with hard things that we're trying to overcome) but also on a professional level.  Being a writer can be scary.  Getting rejections and bad reviews is hard.  Putting yourself out there is hard.  Sometimes even getting the words down on paper is hard.

But if we work at it, and say over and over to ourselves, "I can do hard things," then I believe we can do it.  The more we work at it the less scary it becomes and the more victorious we feel as we reach milestones in our lives and in our work.

So, today, when you are sitting in your chair staring at a blank screen, or reading a rejection, or submitting to an agent, I hope you'll remember a girl with a vacuum hose who faced her fear with a rallying cry of, "I can do hard things."

Because you can, too.


Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • First Page Friday
    Well, after yesterday's comments, I just want to post the link to where you can get a hardcopy of All Fall Down.  You know, in case Jon ...
  • What's Your Editing Process?
    Today I am hunkered down working on these final edits.  I have babysitters set for my children, power snacks ready for me, and I think I...
  • Do You Ever Wonder If It's Worth It?
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins not by strength but by perseverance." - H. Jackson B...
  • My Blog Tour is Almost Here!
    I've never done an official blog tour before, but with All Fall Down , I am pleased to announce I will be doing one.  The amazing Lexie ...
  • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You Mine
    I've been analyzing my writing process and I thought it might be fun to share it with you and see how it compares to your writing proces...
  • Book Review: Reforming Lord Ragsdale
    I know, I know, I'm reviewing another historical this week.  I'm just on a historical kick these days and Carla Kelly is my author o...
  • Choosing Names for Your Characters
    So, after reading Debra's comment yesterday about the name "Grace" being too common, I went into a bit of panic mode since tha...
  • I Can Do Hard Things
    Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her dau...
  • First Page Friday
    Well, since it's Friday the 13th, this is either a scary post or a lucky one.  I'll go for lucky. Thank you so much to both the subm...
  • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
    As most of you know, I am a big advocate of libraries and literacy.  I think that libraries are the great equalizer in that everyone has acc...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (175)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (25)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ▼  2012 (283)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (26)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (24)
    • ▼  July (23)
      • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
      • The Acknowledgments Page
      • First Page Friday---Where It's My First Page
      • Gesture Crutches---Do You Use Them?
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Some Great Ebook Deals For Your TBR Pile
      • I Can Do Hard Things
      • Getting to Know Ms. Shreditor
      • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You...
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Scarecrow and Mrs. King--How the Spy Business Has ...
      • Do You Have a Lucky Writing Shirt?
      • First Page Friday
      • What's Your Editing Process?
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • G-Rated Non-Profanity (Yes, I'm Editing)
      • Dissecting My Manuscript
      • First Page Friday
      • Danger on Our Fourth of July
      • Happy 4th of July! And Word Count Wednesday
      • My New Cover! Come See!
      • How Far Can Love Scenes Go in Clean Romance?
      • Happy Canada Day!
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (22)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (42)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile