CoulterBellonStephen

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 27 June 2013

My Conference Presentation--How To Write Kick Butt Conflict

Posted on 12:38 by Unknown
Well, as most of you know, I'm presenting at the Utah Valley Writers Lecture Series tomorrow on How to Write Kick Butt Conflict Using Action and Suspense.

As I've been prepping, there's several parts that are screaming for audience participation.  The only problem is, I'm worried that people might think I'm weird.  Or a few croutons short of a salad if you get my drift.  I mean, if someone is teaching you about building suspense and anticipation and has a large pin in their hand, would you be scared to be asked to come up and be an "assistant?"  Or, if we're talking about fight scenes, wouldn't it be more fun to "act" things out?  Oh man, my imagination is running away with me.

I even made a handout for my class. Want to see it?

Creating Kick-Butt Conflict Using Action and Suspense
by Julie Coulter Bellon

Conflict and suspense are two of the reasons we get lost in a book.  No matter what genre it is, we want to see what’s going to happen and how these characters will overcome the obstacles facing them.  Yet, sometimes writers don’t focus enough on keeping the tension taut and their readers in suspense.  These conflict techniques will make your writing compelling to any reader, draw them in, and keep them reading.

The Whole Point of the Story
            Main Conflict
            Secondary

What’s Your Problem?
            Internal
            External

Raise The Stakes¾As Kenny Rogers Would Say Know When to Hold ‘Em
            Reader Expectation
            Realism
            Deadlines

The Clock is Ticking¾Have You Created Suspense and Anticipation?
            Scene Pacing
            Hooks
            Tension

Is It Over? Resolution or Twist? Tips on What to Do and What to Avoid
            Organic
            Maguffins
            Deus ex machina

Writing Nuts and Bolts¾Choose Your Words
            Sentence Length
            Story Pacing
            The Tension Chart
            Character Goals and POV

Tips for Writing Action Scenes

The Domino Effect

Juggling the Action

True to Life

Tempo
           

Consequences



As you can see above, I even used my Kenny Rogers reference! I am so excited about this class. I wish you all could come. I mean, if you read that handout, wouldn't you want to come to it? Maybe I should have jazzed it up and put a graphic of a bomb under the table or something. Hopefully it's as fun and interesting in real life as it has been to prepare for it. And that people think it's helpful. Cross your fingers for me, okay? And maybe send good thoughts to the people I rope into being my "assistants." *evil grin*

What are you going to do this weekend? Anything fun?


Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • First Page Friday
    Well, after yesterday's comments, I just want to post the link to where you can get a hardcopy of All Fall Down.  You know, in case Jon ...
  • What's Your Editing Process?
    Today I am hunkered down working on these final edits.  I have babysitters set for my children, power snacks ready for me, and I think I...
  • My Blog Tour is Almost Here!
    I've never done an official blog tour before, but with All Fall Down , I am pleased to announce I will be doing one.  The amazing Lexie ...
  • Do You Ever Wonder If It's Worth It?
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins not by strength but by perseverance." - H. Jackson B...
  • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You Mine
    I've been analyzing my writing process and I thought it might be fun to share it with you and see how it compares to your writing proces...
  • Book Review: Reforming Lord Ragsdale
    I know, I know, I'm reviewing another historical this week.  I'm just on a historical kick these days and Carla Kelly is my author o...
  • Choosing Names for Your Characters
    So, after reading Debra's comment yesterday about the name "Grace" being too common, I went into a bit of panic mode since tha...
  • First Page Friday
    Well, since it's Friday the 13th, this is either a scary post or a lucky one.  I'll go for lucky. Thank you so much to both the subm...
  • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
    As most of you know, I am a big advocate of libraries and literacy.  I think that libraries are the great equalizer in that everyone has acc...
  • I Can Do Hard Things
    Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her dau...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (175)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ▼  June (21)
      • First Page Friday & An Announcement
      • My Conference Presentation--How To Write Kick Butt...
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Three Things That Motivate Me To Write In The Summer
      • Book Review: Be Mine
      • First Page Friday
      • IB Nosey Gets Nosy With Me
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Are You a To-Do List Person?
      • A Summer of A Million Gifts
      • Book Review: Sworn Enemy
      • First Page Friday
      • Meridian Magazine Reviewed Ashes Ashes! & Let's Ta...
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Upcoming Conferences and Book Signings
      • Triple Whammy---Three Book Reviews!
      • First Page Friday
      • To Bookmark or Not To Bookmark
      • Word Count Wednesday & Character Inspiration Photos
      • Three Wonderful Things
      • I, Spy Blog Tour Answers My Spy Question
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (25)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (283)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (26)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (24)
    • ►  July (23)
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (22)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (42)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile