CoulterBellonStephen

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 25 June 2013

Three Things That Motivate Me To Write In The Summer

Posted on 15:04 by Unknown
Summertime is usually a difficult time for writing, especially writers who are moms.  Somehow having all those kids home isn't really conducive to the writing process.  As you all know I'm in the middle of drafting the third book in my Hostage Negotiation series and so I have to motivate myself to write this summer.  I've been analyzing what's working for me lately and thought I'd share.

1.  The Notebook

The computer isn't available to me on a regular basis during the summer because 1. kids need my attention during the day and 2. because I'm not willing to get up early and use it like some other highly motivated (read: crazy in my book!) writer moms I know.  And sometimes when I do have the computer time, I get in the zone only to be interrupted to referee an argument, answer questions, or help someone with something.  So, in order to get something done, I've been going old school.  I take my notebook everywhere---to the pool while I watch swim lessons, to the table while the kids are coloring or writing letters, and I've even read some of what I've written for storytime.  (My poor kids!  No, I'm at a really exciting part so the boys love it.)  Then, when I have the computer, I just type in the scenes I've written (and add, revise, and edit at the same time so win/win!)

2.  Walking

There are studies that prove that exercise increases synapses to the creative side of your brain and I believe that to be true because whenever I get on my treadmill, the ideas really flow.  So, this summer I have started walking a couple miles a day to work out plots, characters, and dialogue.  It really does work, and although I have to carve out the time, it's so worth it for both my waistline and my storyline!

3.  Accountability

I have to have you guys on my blog every Wednesday and my critique group twice a month check in on my progress.  If I know I'm going to have to report to someone, I'm much more likely to get down to the nitty gritty and get my goals for the day/week accomplished.  Very motivational.  And then when I achieve my goals, I've given myself little rewards like buying a new book or something like that.

What's keeping you motivated this summer?


Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • First Page Friday
    Well, after yesterday's comments, I just want to post the link to where you can get a hardcopy of All Fall Down.  You know, in case Jon ...
  • What's Your Editing Process?
    Today I am hunkered down working on these final edits.  I have babysitters set for my children, power snacks ready for me, and I think I...
  • My Blog Tour is Almost Here!
    I've never done an official blog tour before, but with All Fall Down , I am pleased to announce I will be doing one.  The amazing Lexie ...
  • Do You Ever Wonder If It's Worth It?
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins not by strength but by perseverance." - H. Jackson B...
  • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You Mine
    I've been analyzing my writing process and I thought it might be fun to share it with you and see how it compares to your writing proces...
  • Book Review: Reforming Lord Ragsdale
    I know, I know, I'm reviewing another historical this week.  I'm just on a historical kick these days and Carla Kelly is my author o...
  • Choosing Names for Your Characters
    So, after reading Debra's comment yesterday about the name "Grace" being too common, I went into a bit of panic mode since tha...
  • First Page Friday
    Well, since it's Friday the 13th, this is either a scary post or a lucky one.  I'll go for lucky. Thank you so much to both the subm...
  • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
    As most of you know, I am a big advocate of libraries and literacy.  I think that libraries are the great equalizer in that everyone has acc...
  • I Can Do Hard Things
    Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her dau...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (175)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ▼  June (21)
      • First Page Friday & An Announcement
      • My Conference Presentation--How To Write Kick Butt...
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Three Things That Motivate Me To Write In The Summer
      • Book Review: Be Mine
      • First Page Friday
      • IB Nosey Gets Nosy With Me
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Are You a To-Do List Person?
      • A Summer of A Million Gifts
      • Book Review: Sworn Enemy
      • First Page Friday
      • Meridian Magazine Reviewed Ashes Ashes! & Let's Ta...
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Upcoming Conferences and Book Signings
      • Triple Whammy---Three Book Reviews!
      • First Page Friday
      • To Bookmark or Not To Bookmark
      • Word Count Wednesday & Character Inspiration Photos
      • Three Wonderful Things
      • I, Spy Blog Tour Answers My Spy Question
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (25)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (283)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (26)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (24)
    • ►  July (23)
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (22)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (42)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile