CoulterBellonStephen

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 25 February 2013

North and South With Patrick Swazye

Posted on 10:41 by Unknown
I know I'm supposed to review a book on Mondays, but this week I'll be doing a special review on Thursday, so I've postponed my book review until then.

Today I'd like to talk about one of my favorite mini-series of all time, North and South. They've been playing it every Sunday night for the last few weeks and I admit, it drew me again like it always does.

It's about a man from South Carolina who meets a man from Pennsylvania at West Point and they become best friends.  The story follows them and their families through the years of the Civil War and it is so incredibly well done.

Patrick Swazye is Orry Main, the southern gentleman who is struggling with some of the aspects of slavery and honoring his heritage.  James Read is George Hazard, a man from Pennsylvania whose family owns an iron works that employs a lot of Irish immigrants.  He also has a sister who is an abolitionist (played by Kirstie Alley).  It is so interesting how the miniseries explores issues from both sides.  The south did have some valid political points, but I am glad the north prevailed and the union was preserved.  But, oh, what a cost!

The cast of North and South is incredible, with lots of big names, including Jimmy Stewart, Hal Holbrook, Johnny Cash, Robert Guillame, Elizabeth Taylor, Gene Kelly, Genie Francis, David Carradine, Terri Garber, and Forrest Whitaker to name a few.  There are some really strong female characters, which I love.  The history is also articulated so well, it's hard for people who love history not to be drawn in.

I love the lush settings of North and South, the family drama, and the deep enduring friendship between George and Orry.  That seems hard to find on shows done nowadays, especially one where it is so well done.  There's also something about the Civil War era that fascinates me.  Maybe someday I'll write a book about that.

Here's a promo that was done for Book II


Do you have a mini-series you love?  Have you ever seen North and South?

Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • First Page Friday
    Well, after yesterday's comments, I just want to post the link to where you can get a hardcopy of All Fall Down.  You know, in case Jon ...
  • What's Your Editing Process?
    Today I am hunkered down working on these final edits.  I have babysitters set for my children, power snacks ready for me, and I think I...
  • Do You Ever Wonder If It's Worth It?
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins not by strength but by perseverance." - H. Jackson B...
  • My Blog Tour is Almost Here!
    I've never done an official blog tour before, but with All Fall Down , I am pleased to announce I will be doing one.  The amazing Lexie ...
  • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You Mine
    I've been analyzing my writing process and I thought it might be fun to share it with you and see how it compares to your writing proces...
  • Book Review: Reforming Lord Ragsdale
    I know, I know, I'm reviewing another historical this week.  I'm just on a historical kick these days and Carla Kelly is my author o...
  • Choosing Names for Your Characters
    So, after reading Debra's comment yesterday about the name "Grace" being too common, I went into a bit of panic mode since tha...
  • I Can Do Hard Things
    Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her dau...
  • First Page Friday
    Well, since it's Friday the 13th, this is either a scary post or a lucky one.  I'll go for lucky. Thank you so much to both the subm...
  • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
    As most of you know, I am a big advocate of libraries and literacy.  I think that libraries are the great equalizer in that everyone has acc...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (175)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (25)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ▼  February (23)
      • The Frustration of Writing---Where I'm At
      • Word Count Wednesday--What Do You Think About Nove...
      • My Review of the Best Castle Episode Ever
      • North and South With Patrick Swazye
      • First Page Friday
      • Three Tips for Naming Your Characters
      • Anyone Sprinting Tonight?
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Castle Review---Holy Eiffel Tower!
      • Book Review: A Timeless Romance Anthology Spring ...
      • The Art of Bookmaking by Ms. Shreditor
      • First Page Friday Needs Submissions
      • Happy Valentines Day! What I Wish For You . . .
      • Sprinting--Better Late Than Never
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Castle's Homage to Alias? And Hawaii Five-O Review
      • Book Review: Line of Fire
      • First Page Friday--Our First Non-Fiction
      • Three Tips For Writing Your First Chapter
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Castle and Hawaii Five-O--Now THAT'S What I'm Talk...
      • A Sort Of Book Review: The Five Books of Jesus
      • First Page Friday
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (283)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (26)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (24)
    • ►  July (23)
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (22)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (42)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile