CoulterBellonStephen

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 13 May 2013

Book Review: Belonging to Heaven

Posted on 07:00 by Unknown


Belonging to Heaven by Gale Sears is like a gentle breeze on a summer's day---something to savor.  It tells of courage, sacrifice, and dedication of George Q. Cannon, the first LDS missionary there, and Jonathan Napela, a convert to the church who has to make some very big decisions in his life.  The last third of the book is so inspiring and touching, you'll want to have a handkerchief nearby.

The book had a slow-moving style to it that made it something for me to look forward to at the end of the day.  It immersed me in the history and culture of the Hawaiian people.  As most of you know, I won a five night stay at a Hawaiian vacation getaway, but because of circumstances I wasn't able to go and have been feeling down about it.  I didn't want to read this book when I found out the subject matter because I thought it might be too depressing with what happened with my Hawaii trip.  I found it actually helped a little because it made me feel like I was almost there eating poi and enjoying the incredible scenery.  The author really brought to life some memorable characters as well that rounded out the experience. (But someday, Hawaii, you and I will meet.)  I loved that this story was based on real people and that the story was so poignant.  It's one that I'll think about for a long time to come.

Here's the back copy:

Descended from the Hawaiian royal line, Jonathan Napela became one of the first—and most influential—converts to the Church in Hawaii. A man of intelligence, social status, and wealth, he used his considerable position to further the gospel in his native land. He developed a lifelong bond of brotherhood with Elder George Q. Cannon, helping to translate the Book of Mormon into Hawaiian and establish a gathering place for the Hawaiian saints in Laie, Oahu. But when his beloved wife, Kitty, was stricken with leprosy, Jonathan made the defining decision of his life. He would leave his life of privilege to become her caretaker and spend the rest of his life on Molokai, the island of lepers. To those who suffered similar heartbreak and banishment, Jonathan's self-sacrifice became their lifeline. Based on true story, this is an extraordinary novel of a man who chose love in the face of death.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • First Page Friday
    Well, after yesterday's comments, I just want to post the link to where you can get a hardcopy of All Fall Down.  You know, in case Jon ...
  • What's Your Editing Process?
    Today I am hunkered down working on these final edits.  I have babysitters set for my children, power snacks ready for me, and I think I...
  • Do You Ever Wonder If It's Worth It?
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins not by strength but by perseverance." - H. Jackson B...
  • My Blog Tour is Almost Here!
    I've never done an official blog tour before, but with All Fall Down , I am pleased to announce I will be doing one.  The amazing Lexie ...
  • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You Mine
    I've been analyzing my writing process and I thought it might be fun to share it with you and see how it compares to your writing proces...
  • Book Review: Reforming Lord Ragsdale
    I know, I know, I'm reviewing another historical this week.  I'm just on a historical kick these days and Carla Kelly is my author o...
  • Choosing Names for Your Characters
    So, after reading Debra's comment yesterday about the name "Grace" being too common, I went into a bit of panic mode since tha...
  • I Can Do Hard Things
    Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her dau...
  • First Page Friday
    Well, since it's Friday the 13th, this is either a scary post or a lucky one.  I'll go for lucky. Thank you so much to both the subm...
  • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
    As most of you know, I am a big advocate of libraries and literacy.  I think that libraries are the great equalizer in that everyone has acc...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (175)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ▼  May (24)
      • First Page Friday
      • This Weird Thing Happened & My Thoughts On Critiques
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Book Review Her Hesitant Heart
      • Memorial Day
      • First Page Friday--Oops!
      • Author Newsletters--What Do You Want To See?
      • Word Count Wednesday & Come Vote For Me
      • Hawaii Five-O Season Finale---My Thoughts
      • 4th Annual LDS Writer Blogfest---A Personal Book R...
      • First Page Friday
      • Castle Season Finale Review
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Don't Tell Me I Haven't Watched It Yet!
      • Book Review: Belonging to Heaven
      • First Page Friday
      • Research--Fun and Boring All At the Same Time
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Castle and Hawaii Five-O Review: Drones, Carlos &...
      • Three Book Reviews for Mother's Day
      • My First Review!
      • First Page Friday & Ashes Ashes is Available on Ki...
      • I've Been Waiting and It's Still Not Up
      • Word Count Wednesday
    • ►  April (25)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (283)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (26)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (24)
    • ►  July (23)
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (22)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (42)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile