CoulterBellonStephen

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Thursday, 30 May 2013

This Weird Thing Happened & My Thoughts On Critiques

Posted on 11:54 by Unknown
Yesterday I was driving to pick up my son from school and there was a crowd to one side of the street.  I slowed down and saw a young woman lying half in the road, her leg, arms, and belly all bloody with what looked like road rash.

From my vantage point it seemed like she'd taken a nasty spill off her bike.  She looked like she was a teenager, around 16 or so.  As I mentioned, there was a little crowd around her, several teenage boys, a couple of girls, and a woman.  The woman was bent over her and I rolled my window down and talked to one of the boys I knew to ask what happened.  The woman jerked her head up and said, "We got this."

She seemed really annoyed when I mentioned that maybe someone should call 911 and I was again told "we got this."  I drove slowly away, but the look of pain on that girl's face stayed with me, so I took out my phone and called 911.  I told the operator everything I'd seen and she said she'd send medical help.

At first I felt upset for the girl, then I thought the angry woman would be even more mad I'd called 911 when she said she had things in hand, and then I just hoped the girl got the help she needed no matter who provided it.

Not to take anyone's pain lightly, but sometimes I think we're like that with our manuscripts.  They're obviously bleeding and in need of help, but we don't want help for whatever reason and tell everyone we've got it.

People may offer help to us, but we sometimes feel defensive and angry.  I think we're always grateful when help comes, though, if we're open enough to accept it.  It's just getting to that point where we can see the offers of help as something that will make us better, and not a commentary on any perceived shortcomings on our part.  Most people want to help our manuscripts improve and while it may sting at first to read the critique, if we can sleep on it, generally it seems better in the morning and we can dig in to fix the problems.

What do you think?  Are you more like the angry woman or the one who called 911?
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • First Page Friday
    Well, after yesterday's comments, I just want to post the link to where you can get a hardcopy of All Fall Down.  You know, in case Jon ...
  • What's Your Editing Process?
    Today I am hunkered down working on these final edits.  I have babysitters set for my children, power snacks ready for me, and I think I...
  • My Blog Tour is Almost Here!
    I've never done an official blog tour before, but with All Fall Down , I am pleased to announce I will be doing one.  The amazing Lexie ...
  • Do You Ever Wonder If It's Worth It?
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins not by strength but by perseverance." - H. Jackson B...
  • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You Mine
    I've been analyzing my writing process and I thought it might be fun to share it with you and see how it compares to your writing proces...
  • Book Review: Reforming Lord Ragsdale
    I know, I know, I'm reviewing another historical this week.  I'm just on a historical kick these days and Carla Kelly is my author o...
  • Choosing Names for Your Characters
    So, after reading Debra's comment yesterday about the name "Grace" being too common, I went into a bit of panic mode since tha...
  • First Page Friday
    Well, since it's Friday the 13th, this is either a scary post or a lucky one.  I'll go for lucky. Thank you so much to both the subm...
  • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
    As most of you know, I am a big advocate of libraries and literacy.  I think that libraries are the great equalizer in that everyone has acc...
  • I Can Do Hard Things
    Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her dau...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (175)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ▼  May (24)
      • First Page Friday
      • This Weird Thing Happened & My Thoughts On Critiques
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Book Review Her Hesitant Heart
      • Memorial Day
      • First Page Friday--Oops!
      • Author Newsletters--What Do You Want To See?
      • Word Count Wednesday & Come Vote For Me
      • Hawaii Five-O Season Finale---My Thoughts
      • 4th Annual LDS Writer Blogfest---A Personal Book R...
      • First Page Friday
      • Castle Season Finale Review
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Don't Tell Me I Haven't Watched It Yet!
      • Book Review: Belonging to Heaven
      • First Page Friday
      • Research--Fun and Boring All At the Same Time
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Castle and Hawaii Five-O Review: Drones, Carlos &...
      • Three Book Reviews for Mother's Day
      • My First Review!
      • First Page Friday & Ashes Ashes is Available on Ki...
      • I've Been Waiting and It's Still Not Up
      • Word Count Wednesday
    • ►  April (25)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (283)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (26)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (24)
    • ►  July (23)
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (22)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (42)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile