CoulterBellonStephen

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Book Review Her Hesitant Heart

Posted on 08:54 by Unknown

Things haven't really slowed down, but just for my sanity's sake I fit in some reading and finished Her Hesitant Heart by Carla Kelly.

Her Hesitant Heart is about Susanna Hopkins, a divorced woman who is traveling west to Wyoming to accept a teaching position in Fort Laramie.  The details of western life in the late 1800s are amazing and really add to the authenticity of the story.  I loved Susanna's spirit, even though she's suffering through some agonizing personal trials of being separated from her son and the emotional toll of the abusive relationship with her now ex-husband.

The doctor at the fort, Joseph Randolph, also has his own personal demons that he's trying to work through.  He takes Susanna under his wing when the military families don't take kindly to her and the story grows from there.  I like how Ms. Kelly shows the growth in the characters in a very organic way as they work toward reconciling their pasts so they might have a future.  The characters feel real, both main and secondary, and when tragedy strikes anyone at the fort, you feel it along with them.  This was definitely a nice historical afternoon read.  For my clean read friends, this one does have some intimate scenes, but they weren't graphic and were between a married couple, so be aware of that.

Here's the back copy:

Tired and hungry after two days of traveling, Susanna Hopkins is just about at the end of her tether when her train finally arrives in Cheyenne. She's bound for a new life in a Western garrison town. Then she discovers she doesn't even have enough money to pay for the stagecoach! Luckily for her, the compassionate Major Joseph Randolph is heading in the same direction.

As a military surgeon, Joe is used to keeping his professional distance. But, despite Susanna's understated beauty, he's drawn to this woman who carries loss and pain equal to his own and has a heart that is just as hesitant and wary..
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • First Page Friday
    Well, after yesterday's comments, I just want to post the link to where you can get a hardcopy of All Fall Down.  You know, in case Jon ...
  • What's Your Editing Process?
    Today I am hunkered down working on these final edits.  I have babysitters set for my children, power snacks ready for me, and I think I...
  • My Blog Tour is Almost Here!
    I've never done an official blog tour before, but with All Fall Down , I am pleased to announce I will be doing one.  The amazing Lexie ...
  • Do You Ever Wonder If It's Worth It?
    "In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins not by strength but by perseverance." - H. Jackson B...
  • The Writing Process--Tell Me Yours & I'll Tell You Mine
    I've been analyzing my writing process and I thought it might be fun to share it with you and see how it compares to your writing proces...
  • Book Review: Reforming Lord Ragsdale
    I know, I know, I'm reviewing another historical this week.  I'm just on a historical kick these days and Carla Kelly is my author o...
  • Choosing Names for Your Characters
    So, after reading Debra's comment yesterday about the name "Grace" being too common, I went into a bit of panic mode since tha...
  • First Page Friday
    Well, since it's Friday the 13th, this is either a scary post or a lucky one.  I'll go for lucky. Thank you so much to both the subm...
  • Supporting the Cause of Literacy
    As most of you know, I am a big advocate of libraries and literacy.  I think that libraries are the great equalizer in that everyone has acc...
  • I Can Do Hard Things
    Yesterday my friend was telling me about how she was cleaning out her older son's room (who had just left on an LDS mission) and her dau...

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (175)
    • ►  August (8)
    • ►  July (29)
    • ►  June (21)
    • ▼  May (24)
      • First Page Friday
      • This Weird Thing Happened & My Thoughts On Critiques
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Book Review Her Hesitant Heart
      • Memorial Day
      • First Page Friday--Oops!
      • Author Newsletters--What Do You Want To See?
      • Word Count Wednesday & Come Vote For Me
      • Hawaii Five-O Season Finale---My Thoughts
      • 4th Annual LDS Writer Blogfest---A Personal Book R...
      • First Page Friday
      • Castle Season Finale Review
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Don't Tell Me I Haven't Watched It Yet!
      • Book Review: Belonging to Heaven
      • First Page Friday
      • Research--Fun and Boring All At the Same Time
      • Word Count Wednesday
      • Castle and Hawaii Five-O Review: Drones, Carlos &...
      • Three Book Reviews for Mother's Day
      • My First Review!
      • First Page Friday & Ashes Ashes is Available on Ki...
      • I've Been Waiting and It's Still Not Up
      • Word Count Wednesday
    • ►  April (25)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (23)
    • ►  January (23)
  • ►  2012 (283)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (30)
    • ►  October (26)
    • ►  September (21)
    • ►  August (24)
    • ►  July (23)
    • ►  June (25)
    • ►  May (24)
    • ►  April (21)
    • ►  March (22)
    • ►  February (22)
    • ►  January (22)
  • ►  2011 (42)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile